Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"I'm not going to be scary, mommy."

So, Kailey decided a few weeks ago that she wanted to be a pink butterfly for Halloween. I've scoured all the stores, checked the internet, and asked around, but apparently there just aren't any cute butterfly costumes out right now. At least for Kailey's age group. We finally got her talked into a back up plan--a fairy princess.
Hoping that I'd be able to find a butterfly costume that would satisfy her at one of the many Halloween Illusions stores that have popped up around here, I promised Kailey we'd go look after preschool yesterday. We walked in the store and saw masks, skeletons, cauldrons, decorations, costumes--pretty much anything that you'd ever want if you are big on Halloween.
We went to the little girl costumes, and sure enough there wasn't a single butterfly in the mix. There was, however, the cutest little witch costume I've ever seen. Even though she was a witch when she was one, I decided to try to talk her into being one again. This is how the conversation went.
"Kailey, look at this witch costume. It's so cute. Why don't you be a witch for Halloween this year?"
"I'm not going to be a witch. I'm not going to be scary, mommy."
I tried to assure her that some witches are cute, but she wasn't buying it. By now, she was insisting that she wasn't going to be scary so loudly that the workers in the store were cracking up because it was so cute and funny.
She then spotted a skeleton and got really bossy.
"I'm not going to be a skeleton either. That's scary, and I'm not scary. I'm going to be a fairy princess. Let's find a magic wand."
So, a fairy princess she is for Halloween this year, because of course, she's not going to be scary.

1 comments:

The Munfords said...

So fun Kinlee didn't want to be scary either. So she is going to be a fairy. Gotta have the wings is all I can say!